WASHINGTON — President Trump said no Americans were killed or wounded when Iran launched at least a dozen ballistic missiles against bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq early Wednesday.
“The American people should be extremely grateful and happy no Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime,” he said. “We suffered no casualties, all of our soldiers are safe, and only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases.”
He also called on world powers to abandon a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran. “They must now break away from the remnants of the Iran deal,” he said.
“The United States is ready to embrace peace with all who seek it,” he said.
Trump said the Iranian strikes caused only “minimal damage” at two Iraqi bases housing U.S. military personnel.
“Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for all parties concerned and a very good thing for the world,” Trump said. “No American or Iraqi lives were lost because of the precautions taken, the dispersal of forces and an early-warning system that worked very well.”
He said he would ask NATO allies to “become much more involved in the Middle East process.”
“The civilized world must send a clear and unified message to the Iranian regime: Your campaign of terror, murder, mayhem will not be tolerated any longer,” Trump said. “It will not be allowed to go forward.”
He added that the United States would impose additional sanctions on Iran, without offering further details.
Previously, Trump had warned that the United States would respond to any Iranian action and threatened severe consequences “if Iran does anything they shouldn’t be doing.”
Trump spent part of his address disparaging Soleimani, saying he was “responsible for some of the absolute worst atrocities” in the Middle East, “fueled bloody civil wars all across the region” and instigated vicious attacks on U.S. troops in Iraq. He repeated his charge that Soleimani was planning new attacks on Americans but did not provide evidence.
In slamming the Iran nuclear deal, Trump also asserted without evidence that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons and that “the missiles fired last night were paid for by the funds made available [to Iran] by the last administration” under the agreement.
As he spoke Wednesday morning, Trump was flanked by several top administration officials, including Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper, Vice President Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.